Mental illness can strike anyone. As per the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), about 43.8 million people in the United States experince some kind of mental illness in a given year. Most mental illnesses can be cured or their symptoms can be improved with the help of treatment referred to as psychotherapy. Though the treatment methods adopted by psychotherapists are economical, effective, natural and effective, the perceived stigma restrains people from seeking immediate help. The National Psychotherapy Day is observed on September 25 every year to educate about potential mental illnesses, draw attention towards community mental health and to fight the stigma surrounding such disorders.
The myth that therapy is meant for only those who have been diagnosed with some mental disorder or are suffering from mental issues needs to be debunked. Therapy promotes happiness and well-being, enabling people to live normal lives. Some advantages of seeking professional psychotherapeutic help are:
- Gaining perspective: People afflicted with undue stress and anxiety, at times, lose perspective on the issues that bother them. Discussing these issues with professionals will help them view the problems with a mature outlook, thus, ensuring timely and proper treatment.
- Enhanced awareness of self: Emotional turmoil prevents people from taking care of their own feelings or comprehend their thought processes. At times, one wonders as to what goes wrong while trying to unravel the complexity of thought processes or the kind of weakness experienced while making decisions. Seeking professional psychotherapeutic help aids in better understanding of the impact of dysfunctional behaviors on one’s life apart from pinpointing the nature of patterns that trigger one’s unnatural behavior. Psychotherapists instill the courage to act while constantly emphasizing on the link between thoughts and necessary actions in one’s daily life.
- Seeing life objectively: One often sees life in conjunction with other experiences that lends a subjective approach to life. Psychotherapists help look at the problem without lending color that a dysfunctional mind imparts. While loved ones may have their own views on life, the necessity to seek a professional view from an expert helps look at life in a more objective and unbiased manner.
- The importance of “Me” time: Family, relationships, work can take a toll on one’s life, leaving him or her practically with no time to focus on one’s own self. Therapy helps concentrate on one’s own thoughts for an hour without any external disturbance.
- Freeing mind of unnecessary clutter: Relationships come in the nature of boon in one’s life, but they can be equally baneful at times. The fear of losing relationships may make it difficult to cherish them, while the frustration of dealing with them on a daily basis can hamper mental peace. The objective nature of therapeutic sessions allows one to vent out the frustration bereft of the fear associated with the nature of its impact.
- Learning effective coping strategies: Not all are able to cope with the pressure that develops in the mind either due to severe anxiousness or depression associated with negative thoughts or feelings. Professional psychotherapeutic help makes available effective coping tools and strategies to handle stress.
Taking right step in direction of recovery
Though the benefits of psychotherapy are immense, deciding to seek help can be daunting for some. Certain obstacles, like the disgrace linked to the idea of getting help for mental health, potential severity of the treatment, unsurity of sharing the problem, can prevent people from taking help for any kind of mental health problem.
Timely intervention is necessary, especially when the problem pertains to mental health. If you or your loved one is suffering from any mental problem, contact the Sovereign Mental Health Services and get instant help pertaining to any kind of mental disorder. Call at our 24/7 helpline number 866-954-0529 or chat online with one of our experts to know about our various mental health facilities in the U.S.