Mental problems are pervasive and can afflict anyone, irrespective of age, race or social status. One such condition is obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), more common than one can think of. People suffering from OCD have reoccurring and uncontrollable thoughts, obsessions and behaviors with an urge to indulge in them repeatedly. In recent years, many renowned personalities from all occupations have confessed to suffering from OCD. Here, we will discuss about five Hollywood actors/singers who grappled with OCD and how they handled it in their lives.
- Leonardo DiCaprio: It is rather strange to assume that the smart alec of “Titanic” could also suffer from OCD in his personal life — Leonardo DiCaprio was so convincing in that role of Jack Dawson. However, it’s true that DiCaprio grapples with OCD. Surprisingly, he once said that he allowed his condition to exacerbate so that he could play the role of Howard Hughes in “Aviator.”
- Jessica Alba: In an interview with CosmoGirl, Jessica Alba had revealed about her struggle with OCD and how she managed it every time. “It was like a panic comes over me and I had to do something, and once I did it, I was OK,” the 36-year-old star said. Therefore, if a stunning Hollywood actor could seek treatment for OCD, common people should take heart and do something to overcome OCD in their personal lives.
- Katy Perry: Normally, one should brush the teeth twice a day for dental hygiene. However, if one does it for four to six times, then there is more to it than meets the eye. Famous pop star Katy Perry does it in a single day, who revealed that it is her brush with OCD. She has a long list of achievements, which include being the 61st most beautiful woman in Hollywood, and holding the 96th position among the most beautiful women sans makeup. She has the ability to light up the stage and enthrall thousands of ardent fans with her performance. Yet, in her personal life, she deals with a condition like OCD.
- Justin Timberlake: Justin Timberlake is another notable singer and actor who suffers from OCD. He is too finicky about keeping everything organized. He has this tendency to keep everything in place and feels the urge to organize them at regular intervals. This habit forces him to allow only certain food items in his refrigerator. This is indeed surprising for an actor of his caliber who dons charismatic roles onscreen and suffers from OCD in his personal life.
- Cameron Diaz: The 45-year-old Hollywood diva and one of the most loved actors is another famous personality who battles OCD. Cameron has an innate fear of germs, which makes her life a little more complicated. Cameron is so paranoid about germs that she opens the doors with her elbows. She is compelled to clean her house daily and washes her hands frequently. However, she has somewhat overcome her OCD and does not let it affect her work. It proves that OCD is manageable with one’s efforts.
Dealing with OCD
OCD is a long-lasting mental condition that affects nearly 2.2 million adults in the U.S. As it’s clear that anyone can manage his/her OCD symptoms and lead a normal life, one should seek immediate professional help to avoid worsening of the symptoms.
Sovereign Health is a leading behavioral health treatment provider in the U.S. with quality OCD treatment centers in California. If you have a loved one suffering from an OCD, and you are scouting for treatment centers for OCD in California, call our 24/7 helpline number at (866) 973-7164 for an immediate assistance. You can also chat online with one of our experts to know more about our OCD treatment in California.